Sherman's Head

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Driving

I was driving from San Jose to get home to Daly City (that's the next city south of San Francisco for those unfamiliar with the Bay Area) . I had just visited with my friend Trung who lives down there in San Jose. He helped me burn some DVDs for a couple of friends after which we proceeded to have dinner, which we ALWAYS do. I've known Trung for almost 10 years now. It's funny that we had to meet at UNLV when we lived just a short drive from each other. We'd always had our best times over food or drink so I guess that's why we always meet with the intent to dine. We even took a class at UNLV together where we learned to manage the kitchen of a restaurant. We cooked many dinners in that class and bonded over the stoves and grills of that kitchen. I even took a wine tasting course with him. Like I said, our best times always involved food or drink.

But I was actually talkng about the drive...

The drive takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on whether you drive like a bat out of hell or MST ( Mother Standard Time= the average time it takes our mother to drive somewhere because we assume she follows all speed laws). Yahoo! Maps says 58 minutes. I love long drives. I love long drives alone, with one other person or with a group of people. I think you really get to know a lot about yourself on long drives. If you're traveling with others, I think a long drive is the great way to get to know them. But tonight, I was alone. With my thoughts. And a radio. This is my favorite kind of driving. You can choose to ignore your thoughts and let yourself get caught up in the music. But, for me at least, that never works out. I get caught up in the music and the words (cause I'm a lyrics guy). Then, the mind starts to wonder (and wander) and get lost in my own thoughts. Mostly about the future. What I want to do with my life, finding love down the road, and even my own mortality (sometimes). I don't know if I ever really learn what it is I am searching for in these drives. I only know they fill my head with thoughts and let me mull over things. The drive becomes a time to let my mind breathe and relax. A time to let some thoughts go and to dwell on the some I've pushed to the back of my head.

My friend, James, from Las Vegas had dropped an interesting proposal that I was sorry to turn down. He offered me a road trip to visit our scattered friends all over the country. After I made it down to LV, it was to be a straight drive (one of those I sleep while he drives and vice versa things) to Savannah, GA to visit his family and some friends. Then, to Atlanta to visit some friends. Up to Rochester, NY to visit with more friends. A stop in Hartford, CT to visit with my oldest and dearest friend, Tim. Down to Indianapolis, IN to visit with my cousin. Then, straight back to Las Vegas and finally home to SF for me. He knows I become more centered after long drives and knew I needed the break. I had the PTO to make the trip but, the one thing I needed were the funds. Even staying with friends (which would save us lodging), we'd still have to gas the car, feed ourselves and pay for various other sundries along the way. Even with as much as I need the break and the vacation, it was still a no go for me. I'll just have to wait it out, save up my nickels and dimes and maybe next year...

A drive would've been nice though...

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home