Sherman's Head

Saturday, June 17, 2006

sister

Today was my sister's birthday. As a present, I got her tickets to tomorrow's Jamie Cullum concert at the Paramount Theater. We also had dinner at Boulevard in San Francisco. But before all this, this morning I went to the Ferry Building Farmer's Market. It's a seasonal market that is held every weekend from spring to fall at the Ferry Building in San Francisco. I normally wouldn't go to the Ferry Building Farmer's Market. The cost of the produce there is rather prohibitive for my budget. Also, it's in the middle of San Francisco and very far from my home in the suburbs. I only go as a treat and mostly to browse around. This weekend I went because Anthony Bourdain, a NYC chef and a personal hero of mine, was doing a book signing at the Sur La Table. I didn't get to talk to him at all. I basically got up there, handed him my book, said hello, he signed it, posed for one pic and then shook I his hand goodbye. But I did pick up some nice Rainier cherries and some blood oranges at the Market.









Boulevard was great. My mom, my sis, my brother and I split two appetizers to start. One was a soft shell crab that came with a corn relish, aioli and a crab-stuffed, fried tomato. The second was a pan-roasted squab that came with a short rib-stuffed cipollini onion and some seared foie gras. Both appetizers were very tasty and well seasoned. I took the pan-roasted duck breast for my entree and it was terrific. The breast was done to medium rare, sliced and placed onto a bed of risotto. They then drizzled a sauce made from cherries around it. The risotto was nice and rich and I was pleasantly surprised by the crunchy pieces of nuts sprinkled into it. The duck breast was very tender and succulent and the sweet cherry sauce complemented the salty sear on the duck perfectly. I took a meyer lemon cheesecake brulee atop a blueberry buckle crust for my dessert. It was basically a blueberry buckle (kind of like a cobbler) used as a crust for a lemony cheesecake layer with sugar burnt on top like a brulee. It was tasty and the slight tang of the lemon complemented the sweet buckle underneath it. It's very strange that I don't have pics because for a nice meal like this I usually like to take pics course by course. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it that everything was spectacular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home