Sherman's Head

Thursday, August 18, 2005

More driving

As I was coming into work today at 5:30 (my shift starts at 6:00AM), the streets of San Francisco were still in night mode. The streetlights shone on the streets and cars were whizzing by, their headlights piercing their dark surroundings. There are lots of cars driving with me towards the City, dozens of little red lights in the highway ahead of me. I wonder what all these people are doing up? I know most people don't head to work until about 8:00. I know the circumstances that bring me to this place at this time of night. But what are their circumstances? What compels them to be driving with me as I rush to work? My silent companions and I all speed down the road towards our various destinations. We are each aware of the cars that flow along the road but also just as unaware of the many stories and twists of fate being played out in the surrounding darkness.

I still think I get up at an ungodly hour. I know that my circumstance compels me to be at the hospital at such an early time. But it still amazes me that all these people are up and about as early as I am. It also amazes me that even more people will be up soon and rushing towards the myriad of places they need to go. It's kind of lonely somehow to feel lost in all that rush. And yet, not so lonely, to be moving along with countless others, all finding our little places in the world.

1 Comments:

  • At August 18, 2005 5:50 PM, Blogger rekkidbraka said…

    Funny... I always think the same thing when I'm driving home from work late on Friday nights (or early Sat. mornings, I guess I should say). I'll start having those thoughts tomorrow night when I head home after working my 5 p.m. - 1 a.m. shift at the paper.

    From August - December, when high school football season hits, I work Friday nights and oddly enough, I enjoy it. But like you, I wonder who else is out there at 1 a.m. Sometimes, though, when I really stop and think about who might be one car over, the reality is too scary and I just let the radio take me away.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home