Sherman's Head

Thursday, October 13, 2005

spaghetti

If you've read this blog in the last 3 entries you would think I was some sort of hack movie critic.

Well, I am, sort of. By putting them in my blog I am recommending these movies. I can't always explain in words what it is about these films that make them "must-sees"in my book but they are.

So, recently, the only thing I've done save going to work and hanging out at home is attending a spaghetti feed at the San Rafael Elks Club last Friday. It was fun and I did a little bit of serving and food running. I wasn't there to do so but I did. I ended up serving on the line a bit, running food from the kitchen to the line, and I also helped clear the dining room after the meal was over. They served over 100 people that day. I took some meatballs home and they became meatball sandwiches for dinner earlier this week. I don't know what it is about food events when I know the cook staff, I always end up helping in some way. I went to a wedding once of a friend I made at City College of San Francisco. He hired another student in our program who did some catering on the side to cater his wedding. Needless to say, I ended up helping that evening with the clean-up, even though I was invited as a guest.

At these events, when I am comfortable with the staff, I always end up doing something. I have always felt more comfortable serving and doing work than trying to socialize. I think that the helping out actually helps me to socialize better. I approach people easier and I am less afraid to make small talk when I am serving. Hosting has always been my social outlet. Even in college, a lot of the parties for my group of friends were held at my house. I always served food and the bar was always open. I had a full bar in my house. I bartended most of the time (I learned how from my friend James) but a few of my friends ended up learning to mix drinks, as well.

Next month is a roast chicken and tri-tip. Joe says I can help cook and serve again. I say, "Great!"

2 Comments:

  • At October 14, 2005 7:36 AM, Blogger rekkidbraka said…

    That's interesting. When The Group was going really strong back around '97, before some of our "original members" moved away, and most of our parties were at Vanessa and Thom's first house -- a comfy little cottage in suburban ATL -- our little core membership (if you will; we weren't really cliqueish and our motto was the more the merrier) would inevitably end up hanging out in the kitchen while everyone else was dispersed around the rest of the house.

    Our theory was that since the kitchen is usually the warmest part of any house, it's where you really feel the love. So it's where we found ourselves at those get-togethers, bonding.

     
  • At October 14, 2005 10:36 PM, Blogger Sherman said…

    My parties were always "cabbage patch" parties. Wherever you ended up at the end of the night you could sleep there. I never forced the sleepovers, but it was almost always followed by breakfast the next day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home