Sherman's Head

Monday, September 12, 2005

help

Lately, as we all have, I've been inundated with scenes of destruction and devastation from Hurricane Katrina's aftermath. I have really been at a loss as how to help out myself. I really have no money to give. So I think I'll give blood. I've done it before and there's no reason I shouldn't again. In times of crisis, like this, is when our blood banks really need the help to keep the supply from dwindling. So, I urge all of you, if you are unable to contribute money, take some time to give blood. It's free and all it takes is a bit of your time and a little pain. Isn't your fellow man worth at least that?

FYI:
If you like to eat out and want to help, Share Our Strength is holding an event on September 27, 2005. Restaurants for Relief is a nationwide promotion of restaurants that will donate a portion of dinner sales on September 27 to Share Our Strength's Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund.

2 Comments:

  • At September 15, 2005 7:32 AM, Blogger rekkidbraka said…

    Sherman's right, folks. Giving blood is always a wonderful way to help your fellow human beings in need, disaster aftermath or not. And if you're able to give blood, keep in mind that it benefits you, too: It's healthy for you. I asked the Red Cross hematologist why I always feel incredibly re-energized a few days after giving and she said that it's the result of your body re-oxygenating the blood after you've given. Cool.

    So donate what you can -- money, food, clothing, time, your home, your blood. And don't just do it in the Katrina aftermath. Use this as your stepping stone to keep on giving to the charities/organizations of your choosing year-round. I do and believe me -- it's a good feeling, knowing that your money, etc., is working to benefit those less fortunate or less healthy.

    Re: Giving blood -- Afraid of needles? Here's how I overcame my fear: I just faced it head-on and watched the Red Cross folks while they did every step of the taking-blood process, including the needle stick. Trust me -- knowing exactly when it's going to happen will take the fear away. Also, asking questions about what's happening will erase your uncertainty. Remember that if you were ever in an accident and needed blood, you'd be poked with plenty of needles in the OR so why not give blood to save someone's life while you're nice and healthy? Seriously -- the life you save may be your own. :-)

     
  • At September 15, 2005 7:55 PM, Blogger Sherman said…

    Thanks for the support, Rekkid. I figured it was the least I could do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home