Sherman's Head

Monday, August 22, 2005

John Doe

So, I work in a hospital. Many of you may not know that, but I do. I have two positions in that hospital. I do clerical work for the EEG (ElectroEncephaloGram) Lab but I am primarily an equipment tech for the Respiratory Department. So, today, through the printer comes a "stat" inpatient order for an EEG for a "John Doe." We've gotten these orders before but rarely do they have no real name. One of the techs wondered why we name unknown people or anonymize people using the name John Doe. I did some Google-ing and found a page that answered my question. Just a little piece of history and trivia for you.

2 Comments:

  • At August 23, 2005 6:26 PM, Blogger rekkidbraka said…

    Weird that you found the "Word of the Day" site link. I did too, today, while Googling "street basketball slang" for my friend Rogers at work today. I forget what the random odd word I ended up with was, but - and sorry to be a bit untoward here - "ass over teakettle" was one of the slang phrases I ended up getting a definition for.

    Obviously, Rogers couldn't use that as his fake nom de plume for his Atlanta Hawks blog, although the three other Hawks fans left in town might have gotten a giggle out of it since there's little else to smile about when you're talking about our NBA team.

     
  • At August 23, 2005 9:50 PM, Blogger Sherman said…

    I just picked the first thing that looked promising and "official." I thought Random House would be a good source for etymology. "Throw up the brick," "air ball" and "white men can't jump" are about all the basketball slang that I know, so I don't know how much help that'd be.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home