Sherman's Head

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Luau

A friend, actually my boss, just offered me a chance to work in a professional kitchen again. His wife is an Elk. He's helping the Elks out by putting together a Luau for a fundraiser. He's asked me to join his kitchen just to help out. It's been quite a while since I worked in a professional kitchen. I do miss the work. I've always liked the process of taking raw ingredients, putting them together , throwing in a little fire and some spice and out comes a dish that is an amalgam of all its parts but also so much more. The Luau won't be happening for another month but I'm excited about the prospect.

Now I'm hungry...

5 Comments:

  • At August 21, 2005 7:11 PM, Blogger rekkidbraka said…

    Good for you, Sherman! Sounds fun - a luau, no less. Like I've told you before, I'm always so impressed with people who can cook. Last night I tried cooking again - a simple boneless ribeye, some raw green beans with a little salad dressing, instant mashed potatoes (don't give me that look, Sherman) and a piece of cubed steak for my mom.

    The green beans weren't half bad, but nature took care of 99% of that. The worst was the mashed potatoes. Those flakes just avalanched out of the box and I had to add in extra water, milk, butter and... OK, so everything pretty much flopped. See why Stouffer's stays in business?

     
  • At August 22, 2005 9:49 PM, Blogger Sherman said…

    I've never been a big fan of raw green beans. Even if it were just lightly steamed so that it would be partially cooked, it would still be preferable to raw. I have no comment on the mashed potatoes. How did the steaks turn out?

     
  • At August 23, 2005 8:32 AM, Blogger rekkidbraka said…

    A little too tough, despite me going by package directions for medium (decent juiciness). I love my George Foreman grill but Outback does steaks so much better.

    Cooking steaks, I think, is like how Southern women think of baking biscuits from scratch: Either you have the touch or you don't; it's an inborn thing and some are graced, some aren't. I'm not, either way. In the South, there is a line of demarcation between women Who Can Bake Biscuits and women Who Can't. Count me sadly in the latter.

     
  • At August 28, 2005 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let me know when the resturant is open - I could use a good meal! As long as it is not cooked by me!
    Jill

     
  • At September 04, 2005 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tandoori chicken rocks! Just wanted to say that...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home