Sherman's Head

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Wicked


I saw Wicked the musical today. I haven't enjoyed a theater production this much since I saw The Scarlet Pimpernel in New York a few years ago. The musical, based on a novel by Gregory Maguire, is the story of Elphaba and the circumstances that lead to her becomng the Wicked Witch of the West.

The singing was spectacular in this play. I loved all the songs. The actress playing Glinda had great comic timing. Her rendition of "Popular" was well done and very funny. She even kept her composure in one scene where she was having trouble standing up from being seated on the ground in a large ball gown. The audience cheered and laughed in appreciation of the little "blooper." I'd have to say my favorite songs of the night were "As Long as You're Mine" and "For Good." Both songs almost had me to tears, especially "For Good" when Glinda and Elphaba were finally realizing how much they'd changed each other's lives and were saying goodbye. I was truly choked up at that moment.

Highly recommended to everyone. Have to head to Best Buy tomorrow, after work, to find the album. Got a roadtrip coming up tomorrow and I just may have a CD to listen to in the car.

Best lyrics of the night, IMHO, from "As Long as You're Mine":
"Kiss me too fiercely
Hold me too tight
I need help believing
You're with me tonight
My wildest dreamings
Could not foresee
Lying beside you
With you wanting me"

All I can say is..... ::RAWR::

1 Comments:

  • At September 03, 2005 4:27 PM, Blogger rekkidbraka said…

    There aren't many musicals I've been to over the years ("Grease" was the last, though I'd love to see "Hairspray") but "Wicked" sounds cool. Kristin Chenowith rules.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home