Sherman's Head

Sunday, October 23, 2005

taylor


So today, I went with my sister to see Ben Taylor. My sister, who has an uncanny ability to win things from radio stations, got a pass for her and a friend to see Ben Taylor at the Hard Rock Cafe. I had never heard any of his music, save one track from a CD that my friend, Mandi, gave me(Thanks Mandi!). I enjoyed that track so I thought I'd catch the show with my sister when she asked.

The show was great. He started the show acoustically because the theater above the Hard Rock had a show going on and he was asked to keep it down for the first part of his set. I have to say that he sounds a lot like his father, James Taylor. He admits it himself and even performed a song that speaks about it. After about 4 solo acoustic songs, the band joined him up on stage. Ben stayed on the acoustic guitar with his band except for the last band song when he switched to electric. After that Ben played two last songs alone to close out the set. The last two songs were the only ones I recognized. The first of the two Surround Me was the track Mandi sent me. The last song was a wonderful cover of Prince's, Nothing Compares 2 U.

The concert was very much a treat. I enjoyed seeing him and he was very friendly at the signing after his show. I definitely welcome him into my musical consciousness and look forward to hearing more from him.

1 Comments:

  • At October 26, 2005 10:50 AM, Blogger rekkidbraka said…

    DUDE! You met Ben Taylor! Ben FREAKING Taylor! That is THE ALL!

    Why didn't you ask him for the acoustic tab for "Surround Me" so I can learn to butcher it on my guitar?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home