Sherman's Head

Friday, September 08, 2006

bittersweet

So I headed down to Fillmore Street for a stroll today and went to Bittersweet: the chocolate cafe on a recommendation from Jalapeño Girl. I had actually visited on Wednesday with a friend after reading J-Girl's article. I got the "Spicy" on Wednesday. It was chocolate and steamed milk with a kick of pepper and a hint of cinnamon. It was good but I think I desired more of a rich chocolate flavor. In the "Spicy," the chocolate flavor was diluted by milk but it also allowed the pepper and cinnamon to come through clearer and stronger.

Today I decided I would forgo the peppery heat and just go for full on chocolate flavor. Today's choice was the "Bittersweet" (on Jalapeño Girl's recommendation, as well). It was full bodied and very rich. It reminded me of the chocolate that my father used to make for us when we were kids. I remember he'd boil some water and drop in some chocolate discs. We'd pour the chocolate drink onto our rice and eat it with eggs and longanisa (sweet sausage). It was very reminiscent of Mexican chocolate and I'm sure it's existence has something to do with the Spanish influence in the Philippines. That's one of the things that I love about food is how it takes on journeys in our minds and evokes memories from our past. Though my Dad is long gone, I can still see him in mminds's eye stirring the pot of chocolate with breakfast, pouring out each cup and asking me to place them out on the table next to each setting. I can still remember my family gathered around the table eating breakfast, the scent of dark chocolate as I pour it over my steaming rice and the slightly sweet flavor of the chocolate rice as I ate it with my eggs and sausage.

So I think I'm a Bittersweet guy now, although I think I might try the other things on the menu if I get the chance to wander down to Fillmore on my lunch break again. There's a white chocolate drink I had my eye on to try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home