Sherman's Head

Saturday, September 23, 2006

hurt

So I was cooking at the Elk's Club in San Rafael. I do this a couple of times a month for various events they hold there. Yesterday, it was a charity golf tournament that was holding their dinner there after wards. Simple menu: Steak (with sauteed mushrooms and onions), baked potato, veggie (green beans or glazed carrots), and dessert. I was chopping green onions for the potatoes. I was using proper knife technique and I slipped and let one of my guiding hand's fingers uncurl. I sliced through my left finger (see photo). I stopped cutting and found a first aid kid. Using some gauze and some scotch tape, I jerry-rigged a bandage for myself and was able to slow the bleeding so I could keep working. About three hours later, most of the meal had gone out and things were winding down. I asked permission from Joe, the guy I usually cook these meals with, to head out early and deal with my injury.

I went to the ER at work. After triage, I was placed on my very own guerney and waited for someone to help me out. This cute blonde nurse first saw me. She removed my blood-soaked "bandage" and irrigated the wound as gently as she could. She then told me a doctor would be in to assess the injury and how to proceed. A ginger-haired doctor came in and assesed the wound. He told me that they would numb the area, remove a piece of the nail and stitch it up.
He came back with a filled needle and proceeded to inject my finger to numb it. He left for a few minutes to let the numbness set in. he came back, poked my finger with the needle and injected me again when I winced at the poking. After a few more minutes he came back, poked again and was satisfied with the numbness. He then proceeded to open a kit and pried the loose nail piece off. He opened a package that contained a needle and thread and sewed the loose flap of skin back onto my finger with 3 stitches. I didn't feel a thing.

Drove back home but passed by the mission to grab a super quesadilla suiza from El Farolito on 24th and Mission. A little hurt, but trying to heal.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home