Sherman's Head

Sunday, October 30, 2005

language

So today was when we had to "fall back" according to Daylight Savings Time. I had to call my friend James in Las Vegas just to announce to him, "Time changed!" It's an inside joke between us. There are only 3 people privy to that joke and we haven't talked to the other one for quite a while. I have a lot of these inside jokes with most of my friends. I've heard many comments about these jokes and inside sayings. The best has to be by James's wife who said something like "it's weird how you guys can talk to each other and suddenly switch to a conversation you started years ago without missing a step."

So, yeah, I do have this almost "secret" language that only me and my friends can understand. Our lingo was born of pop culture references and personal "you-had-to-be-there" experiences. I wish I could write down where all our references come from and how we came up with the phrases that we repeat, ad nauseam, to each other. I wish there was a small Shermspeak-English guidebook I could sell to all of you to help you understand my slang. But I can't. The words come all too quickly to explain and some meanings have been lost in time. The language comes along with my friendship and there's no shortcut to learning it. Just hang out with me, it'll come, all will be explained and you can add to the lexicon.

1 Comments:

  • At November 04, 2005 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is so funny. I thought of you and "Time Changed" on Sunday Morning.


    So here's one for your head...
    "I'm gonna take a showwwer, I'm gonna take a showwwer."

    xoxo
    Amo*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home