Sherman's Head

Saturday, December 31, 2005

trio



The pics above were taken from JM's Myspace.com account. They are rare snaps of him in his old band back in 1974. HeHe.

Saw the John Mayer Trio at the Warfield Theater last night. I had a great time. It's my first time seeing the Trio but I had seen John Mayer before. There were some technical difficulties in the beginning. John vocal levels kept getting changed. One minute he'd be drowned out by the music the next he'd be so loud that he sounded distorted. A couple of songs into his set, he finally talked with the some crew guys and they worked out the problems in the next few songs.

Technical difficulties aside, it was a phenomenal show. John seemed really in his element up there on stage with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino. When I first heard about the Trio, I was skeptical. I've been kind of a die hard fan of his band that I couldn't see this next step. I was kind of crushed that he left his other members behind and started new with other people. Even when I got in some of the trades, I still couldn't see it. I heard good music but I wasn't " feelin' " the change. I wasn't sold on the Trio. I even watched his interview with Matt Pinfield, when he tried to explain the new challenges the Trio presented him with and the new heights he felt his music reaching. I really couldn't see it.

I was blind but now I see... All of that changed last night. I saw the pure elation in his face in the first few notes Everyday I Have the Blues (the opening song) and I knew he was going to take me somewhere I'd never seen him before. I fell hook, line and sinker for the John Mayer Trio. He looked more at home on that stage than I'd ever seen him. Maybe it was the fact that he's a veteran now, but I don't think that was it. I think it was that he was having fun and doing what John wanted to do. His guitar playing was better than ever. I could feel his life and his emotion with each strum. So needless to say I am convinced. I can see now how he has evolved. Evolving may cause us to part company with dear old friends. But for better times and better music, I can truly say... lead the way "Brother" John and I will follow.

And this was WITH technical difficulties....

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home